A Glance At Eden's Rich History TimeLine
From the early habitation of the Tharwa people of the Yuin Nation, through European settlement up to today, Eden’s affinity with the ocean is deep. Whales, whaling and fishing have played a large part in the development of the town. The Greenseas fish cannery was a major industry for 40 years in Eden.
Killer whales have been key players in the history of whaling starting with the Tharwa, 6,000 years ago, and ending with the Davidson whaling family. The Orcas are now returning to Eden and are part of the whale watching attractions. Eden, in Twofold Bay, was designated a town in 1843 by Sir George Gipps, Governor of the colony of New South Wales, Australia. George Gipps was Private Secretary to George Eden, Earl of Auckland, Governor-General of India from 1836 to 1842 and he had been First Lord of the Admiralty.
The ship ‘Lawrence Frost’ broke in two and sank in Twofold Bay.
First government school started with an enrolment of 12 girls and 30 boys.
Eden Court House built 1857/58.
The first police station erected in Cocora Street. The Police fenced of the headland beyond Snug Cove for their horse paddock. A Chief Constable and two troopers were stationed at the Eden Watch House and their jurisdiction stretched from Cape Howe in the south, Bermagui River in the north, and the Monaro Tablelands to the west.
The Great Southern Hotel was constructed as the Twofold Bay Stores, a general store run by George Barclay and Joseph Teas.
Alexander Walker Davidson built a whaling station at Kiah Inlet.
In the Parliamentary session of 1857, the urgent necessity for constructing a new road from Eden to Bombala, the chief town of the extensive pastoral district of Maneroo (for the shipment of whose exports and imports Eden is obviously the natural port) ,was submitted to the Legislative Assembly. The sum of £1000 was, accordingly, voted, and Mr James H. Thomas, C.E., was appointed to survey the line and construct the road.
The Illawarra Steam Navigation Company was incorporated through a merger of the Kiama Steam Navigation Company, the Twofold Bay Pastoral Association and a small fleet owned by Sydney entrepreneur, Edye Manning. Originally, sailing ships provided the service. The first steamer was William IV, known as ‘Puffin Billy’.
Feb: The laying of the foundation-stone of the New Wharf drew a large crowd. The stone was laid by Daniel Egan, Esq., who, after speaking at some length of the many advantages to be derived by this boon to the public, and of the facilities that will be given in unloading and reloading of vessels trading to and from this port, stated, that by the request of the gentlemen forming the committee, the wharf hereafter would be designated Egan Wharf. This announcement was received with great cheering by the crowd.
The General Steam Navigation Company, the Kiama Steam Navigation Company, and the Shoalhaven Steam Navigation Company merged to become the Illawarra Steam Navigation Company (the ‘Pig & Whistle Line’) which held a near-monopoly for shipping on the south coast, and their fleet visited every significant port between Sydney and the Victorian border.
Mr. P. J. Murray appointed Police Magistrate for the police district of Eden. New watch houses built in Eden and arrangements were made by the Government for holding petty sessions at Pambula and Bega.
The Church Committee (Anglican) met 5 July 1858 with Rev. W. Allworth presiding-It was determined that the ground for the church should be cleared immediately The inhabitants are indebted to the magistrate for the use of the Court House to hold Divine Service and Sabbath School.
During Communion Service on Sunday evening last, the clergyman’s surplice caught fire, it was, however, observed in good time by a communicant…I am happy to state that the surplice only was injured although the minds of the communicants were somewhat disturbed.
New Wharf-The new wharf is progressing rapidly, under the superintendence of Mr. J.H. Thomas and is expected to be completed in three or four weeks.
Road-Mr. Thomas is also superintending the repair of the regular line of road from Eden to Bombala.
Eden Twofold Bay 6th July 1858
COUNTRY NEWS. (1858, July 14). The Goulburn Herald and County of Argyle Advertiser (NSW: 1848 – 1859) 14 July 1858
Feb: Completion of new road between the Monaro to Eden.
The Kiandra Gold Rush began and brought boom times to the Port of Eden with a floating population of around 4000.
“Twofold Bay and Maneroo Telegraph” is first published a few short months before the “Twofold Bay and Maneroo Observer”.
Eden wharf built.
Extension added to Eden Court House.
Eden’s first lighthouse, a timber construction, erected on Lookout Point.
Commercial Banking Company of Sydney Ltd. opened a branch in Eden.
The ‘City of Sydney‘ a single screw steamship of 735 tons and carrying around 100 passengers ran ashore in fog near Green Cape on a voyage from Melbourne to Sydney on 6 October. No lives were lost but the ship was a total loss
A lamp visible for 7 miles was installed in the timber lighthouse at Lookout Point.
Although in use since the 1830s Eden Cemetery is only officially dedicated on 16th June 1863.
There has been some little excitement created here by the death of a Chinaman, one of a party of Chinese who are catching mutton fish here. There is a supposition that some foul play has been exercised, but all that is known at present is, that the Chinaman was labouring under the effects of spirits at the time of his death. Br. Sheffield opened the body, and sent the contents of the stomach to Sydney, for the purpose of analyzation ; so we may expect to hear more by next week.
The Monaro Mercury, and Cooma and Bombala Advertiser 26 June 1863
24th May: The foundation stone of St George’s Church was laid.
Fr. Patrick Slattery is appointed first Catholic Parish Priest of Bega and Twofold Bay.
2nd June: St. Georges Presbyterian Church opened.
Money Order System introduced to Eden.