A Glance At Eden's Rich History TimeLine
From the early habitation of the Tharwa people of the Yuin Nation, through European settlement up to today, Eden’s affinity with the ocean is deep. Whales, whaling and fishing have played a large part in the development of the town. The Greenseas fish cannery was a major industry for 40 years in Eden.
Killer whales have been key players in the history of whaling starting with the Tharwa, 6,000 years ago, and ending with the Davidson whaling family. The Orcas are now returning to Eden and are part of the whale watching attractions. Eden, in Twofold Bay, was designated a town in 1843 by Sir George Gipps, Governor of the colony of New South Wales, Australia. George Gipps was Private Secretary to George Eden, Earl of Auckland, Governor-General of India from 1836 to 1842 and he had been First Lord of the Admiralty.
The Telegraph line between Twofold Bay and Bombala opened. The telegraph office was located in the ‘Crown and Anchor’.
Mr. Charles Kebby appointed Eden Post & Telegraph Station Master & line repairer. Mr. Kebby lived in ‘Half House’, his home being used as the Post Office.
Telegraph line extended from Eden to Gabo Island.
A report has reached here that great quantities of human bones are lying exposed on a small island near Gabo ; they are believed to be the remains of those lost in the Monumental City, and buried on the island.”
The Sydney Morning Herald 16 April 1870
A wooden observatory was constructed on the site where the Eden Fishermen’s Club carpark now stands for the observation of the Transit of Venus on the 6th June.
A Government Savings Bank branch opened at Half House.
The residents of Eden were somewhat alarmed by hearing that a shark, measuring between 30 and 40 feet in length, had taken up his quarters in Twofold Bay. Both Glover’s and Ashfiold’s boats were chased by this monster of the deep a distance of three miles, from the North Head up to the wharf. His fin stood about a yard and a half out of the water. Mr. Glover.
An earthquake, accompanied by a loud rumbling sound like the rolling of thunder, occurred on the 12th June at 3.40 p.m. The shocks were sufficiently severe to rattle the windows of the houses and of the church. They lasted about five seconds. The direction of the wave was from north-west to south-east.
BUSH FIRES – The hot weather last week, in the Bega district, was marked by a succession of bush fires on all sides. At Brogo, the hill known as the “Pinch” was one mass of flames, and the country towards Merimbula, on the one side, and towards the Upper Brogo, was well scorched. At Sandy Creek, and Sam’s Corner, the fires raged with great severity, and towards Merimbula the bush was on fire in many places. On the Big Jack’s road the forests were on fire for miles, and the conflagration extended towards Towamba and Pussy-Cat. The only loss we hear of was among Mr. Black’s survey gear. One of his tents and five or six saddles were destroyed. The rain of Sunday appears to have been pretty general; the fires were put out and the clouds of smoke dispersed. Since the above was in type, the Standard has received a letter from Mr. Jasper Blair to the effect that part of his camp was destroyed, including a large tent and five saddles, besides completely burning out two of his men.
The Sydney Morning Herald 11 March 1876
Funds for the construction of a lighthouse at Green Cape allocated.
The Twofold Bay Store becomes the Great Southern Hotel. The first licensee was John Hopkins.
Site for Greencape Lighthouse surveyed.
Excavation of site for Green Cape Lighthouse begins.
Mr. Charles Kebby, for thirteen years post and telegraph master at Eden, and a highly respected resident, died on Thursday evening and was buried on Sunday. Nearly the whole population of Eden and the surrounding district assembled at et the funeral. The deceased was recently ordered to visit Gabo to repair the line connecting the island with the mainland, and while there he was put to great straits, and suffered considerable hardship…it is thought that in consequence of this he caught a cold from exposure, and erysipelas set in, which proved fatal.
An alternative version of the death of Charles Kebby http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article116355738
Green Cape Lighthouse first operated on 1st November.
Ly ee Moon wrecked while rounding Green Cape on the night of 30 May. 71 passengers drowned leaving 13 survivors Mary MacKillop’s mother was on board the ship heading for Sydney to assist Mary with a fundraising bazaar in aid of destitute women and children. Flora’s body was recovered three days later by a government pilot steamer, Captain Cook. Her naked body was wrapped in a sail to spare embarrassment and conveyed to Eden where she was identified by the captain of the stricken vessel. Her coffin covered with flowers then proceeded to Sydney where Mary awaited. Correspondence from Mary to her siblings conveys her distraught at the loss of her mother and the way in which her death occurred.