Memorials

The National Timber Workers Memorial

 

NATIONAL TIMBER WORKERS MEMORIAL

A community group committed to honouring the many local timber workers fatally injured on the job.

Secretary: Marie Slater PO Box 247 Eden, NSW 2551

www.timberworkers.webhive.com.au

The National Timber Workers Memorial was officially dedicated on 7 June, 2008. Its plaques remember timber workers from all over Australia who were killed while at work. The memorial is situated in the heart of Eden, in Wellings Park, bounded by Stanley Street and Mitchell Street, a short distance south from Eden town centre.  

This emotional project was initiated by the mother of Geoffrey Munday after his death in 2001 following a tree-felling accident. The Axeman’s Association, along with an Eden community-based steering group formed in 2002 to start work on this project. The Memorial was developed through generous donations, local volunteer workers, and a Grant from the Federal Government. 

It incorporates a life sized statue of a timber worker (by sculptor Rix Wright) giving assistance to his injured mate, symbolising the mateship and compassion of our bush workers, together with a memorial wall on which the fatally injured workers are honoured by individual brass plaques. 

Four bas reliefs which depict the work practices of the timber industry are also incorporated in the wall. 

This emotional project was initiated by the mother of Geoffrey Munday after his death in 2001 following a tree-felling accident. The Axeman’s Association, along with an Eden community-based steering group formed in 2002 to start work on this project. The Memorial was developed through generous donations, local volunteer workers, and a Grant from the Federal Government. 

It incorporates a life sized statue of a timber worker (by sculptor Rix Wright) giving assistance to his injured mate, symbolising the mateship and compassion of our bush workers, together with a memorial wall on which the fatally injured workers are honoured by individual brass plaques. 

Four bas reliefs which depict the work practices of the timber industry are also incorporated in the wall. 

This emotional project was initiated by the mother of Geoffrey Munday after his death in 2001 following a tree-felling accident. The Axeman’s Association, along with an Eden community-based steering group formed in 2002 to start work on this project. The Memorial was developed through generous donations, local volunteer workers, and a Grant from the Federal Government. 

It incorporates a life sized statue of a timber worker (by sculptor Rix Wright) giving assistance to his injured mate, symbolising the mateship and compassion of our bush workers, together with a memorial wall on which the fatally injured workers are honoured by individual brass plaques. 

Four bas reliefs which depict the work practices of the timber industry are also incorporated in the wall. 

While the risks inherent in this industry may have been greatly reduced since we moved into the computer age from that of axe, saw bullock team and steam train, our timber workers still must always be alert to ever present danger. 

The establishment of this Memorial to commemorate the many timber workers fatally injured throughout Australia has been made possible by the commitment and support of the local community and businesses as well as the families of the workers killed, together with funding from the Australian Government. 

Details of those remembered on this memorial can be found at the community walk Timber Workers Memorial.

Eden War Memorial

Overlooking the ocean Eden’s War Memorial is located in RSL Park in Calle Calle Street.

On one side is the WW1 Memorial, listing Eden and District men who served on continuous full time war service in The Great War and on the other is the WW2 & Vietnam memorial. Also remembered are Eden volunteers for the US Army Service of Supply and U.S. Army pilots from the 8th Squadron 49th Fighter Group.

Seamen’s Memorial

This memorial is located in Rotary Park near Lookout Point at the end of Imlay Street, Eden.

It was erected by the people of Eden following the loss of the trawler ‘Shiralee’ with all hands on 10th August, 1978, as a memorial to all seamen who have sailed from the Port of Eden and have been lost to the sea with their bodies never recovered. 

The names of 24 unfortunate souls are displayed on plaques on the wall and within the nearby circular garden. Two of the plaques tragically bear two names, both fathers and sons, who were lost to the sea on separate occasions.

Mary MacKillop Hall and Museum (Circa 1860)

Australians now have their own saint – a woman recognised as being holy and a great pioneer for the Catholic Church.  Mother Mary was born in 1842 and founded the Catholic order of the Sisters of St Joseph after setting up a school in Penola, South Australia, in 1866. She spent her life educating and caring for people from all walks of life. She maintained her faith and dedication to helping people, despite a backlash from church leaders and suffering ill health for many years up until her death in Sydney in 1909.

Mary Mackillop’s link with Eden came about when her mother, Flora, drowned at sea in the Ly-ee Moon in 1886, near Green Cape. Mary’s mother, Flora was on her way to Sydney in May 1886 to assist Mary with the Caledonian stall, raising funds for the Providence Home for the destitute and infirm, when the steamer ship, Ly-ee Moon, struck a reef, breaking into pieces and drowning 71 passengers and crew, with only 15 people surviving.

Almost miraculously Flora’s body was recovered days later, unmarked from the sea, wearing only the religious scapular around her neck. Mary was so touched by the compassion of Eden’s residents who cared and prepared her mother’s lifeless body, that within five years of the tragedy she sent three of her Religious Sisters to start and staff St Joseph’s School, Eden in 1891.

Mary’s life and work had many important emotional and historical ties to the Bega Valley area. The citizens of Eden have preserved their close association to this pioneering and saintly woman by naming a street near the convent, Flora Street, after Mary’s mother. Parishioners also restored the old 1860 Star of the Sea Catholic Church, renaming it Mary MacKillop Hall.

Mary Mackillop Hall is part of Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic Church, and is located on Calle Calle Street overlooking Twofold Bay in Eden.