A Glance At Eden's Rich History TimeLine
From the early habitation of the Tharwa people of the Yuin Nation, through European settlement up to today, Eden’s affinity with the ocean is deep. Whales, whaling and fishing have played a large part in the development of the town. The Greenseas fish cannery was a major industry for 40 years in Eden.
Killer whales have been key players in the history of whaling starting with the Tharwa, 6,000 years ago, and ending with the Davidson whaling family. The Orcas are now returning to Eden and are part of the whale watching attractions. Eden, in Twofold Bay, was designated a town in 1843 by Sir George Gipps, Governor of the colony of New South Wales, Australia. George Gipps was Private Secretary to George Eden, Earl of Auckland, Governor-General of India from 1836 to 1842 and he had been First Lord of the Admiralty.
Post Office built in Boydtown
Ben Boyd’s paddle steamer commenced mail service to Sydney
Crown and Anchor completed & James Rixon granted first liquor license.
Road constructed from The Monaro to Eden via Pambula
George & Alexander Imlay die
Oswald Walter Brierly, and Thomas Winder Campbell, Esqrs., both of Boyd Town appointed magistrates for Twofold Bay
First Post Office opened
First Court of Petty Sessions at Eden was held on 7th July 1847. Mr Charles Nagel was Clerk of Petty Session. Magistrates were O. Brierley, W Campbell, James S Walker.
Boyd’s Tower erected
Operations at Boydtown cease
Customs House was built.
Oswald Brierly leaves Eden to join Captain Owen Stanley on the H.M.S. Rattlesnake.
Population of Eden: 49
Population of Boydtown: 400
From at least this date George Barclay operated a general store from a slab building in Chandos Street.
Registration of spirit merchants 19th Nov 1849:
“George Barclay, a slab built cottage containing 7 rooms plastered inside and rough coat outside, shingled roof” Later the business was moved into what is now the Great Southern Hotel”
Flood in Bega Valley claims 17 lives.
The schooner ‘Margaret’ lost in Twofold Bay.
Cattle Bay purchased by the Imlay Brothers to facilitate their operation to ship cattle to Hobart.
15 May The Monumental City, a steamship returning from Melbourne to Sydney ran aground on Tullaberga Island, between Mallacoota Inlet and Gabo Island. The ship broke in two almost immediately, but the survivors were landed on the island, while a boat containing eighteen men rowed to Twofold Bay for assistance. 37 people lost their lives and a monument to them can still be in the old cemetery on Gabo Island. The accident led to the erection of the first lighthouse on Gabo Island.
Population of Eden 180 adults and 85 children.
The schooner ‘Teazer’ lost off Twofold Bay.