A Glance At Eden's Rich History TimeLine
From the early habitation of the Tharwa people of the Yuin Nation, through European settlement up to today, Eden’s affinity with the ocean is deep. Whales, whaling and fishing have played a large part in the development of the town. The Greenseas fish cannery was a major industry for 40 years in Eden.
Killer whales have been key players in the history of whaling starting with the Tharwa, 6,000 years ago, and ending with the Davidson whaling family. The Orcas are now returning to Eden and are part of the whale watching attractions. Eden, in Twofold Bay, was designated a town in 1843 by Sir George Gipps, Governor of the colony of New South Wales, Australia. George Gipps was Private Secretary to George Eden, Earl of Auckland, Governor-General of India from 1836 to 1842 and he had been First Lord of the Admiralty.
TASMAN HAULER. Scuttled off Twofold Bay July 30.
Green Cape Lighthouse converted to solar power and the old light was decommissioned in favor of a steel-framed latticework tower.
The first Eden Whale Festival was held in October.
Eden’s Heinz Wattie Cannery closed leaving 1 in 8 of Eden workers unemployed.
Eden Community Access Centre opened.
Boxing Day: South Coast Bush Fires.
Eden Library relocated from the Eden Log Cabin to its present location.
The Hon. Fran Bailey Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Defence announced that the Commonwealth had successfully negotiated and registered a second Indigenous Land Use Agreement (ILUA) which will allow Defence to construct and operate a multi-purpose wharf and Naval munitions and storage facility.
The agreement is with the Twofold Bay Native Title Group over land and waters at Twofold Bay near Eden and was registered with the National Native Title Tribunal on 29 April.
“This $40 million project meets the Navy’s long-term logistic and ammunition requirements for its east-coast-based fleet. “The new Agreement is significant as the voluntary nature of the Agreement paves the way for collaborative relationships between the parties for the future management of the land and waters in this area.”
17 October, Navy Multi-purpose Wharf officially opened by Fran Bailey, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Defence.
The wharf is capable of handling cargo vessels of up to 32,000 deadweight tonnes in size.
Bega Valley Shire Council appoints the Eden Log Cabin Management Committee which commenced restoration of the building.
4 million dollar renovation of Seahorse Inn at Boydtown completed in 2006.