Davidson Whaling Station

Alexander Walker DavidsonAlexander Davidson

In 1857 Alexander Walker Davidson built a whaling station on the shores of Kiah Inlet about six kilometres south across Twofold Bay from Eden.  Alexander built a substantial house "Kiah House" using timber from the wrecked ship 'Laurence Frost' which had been run ashore and abandoned nearby.  Kiah House was burned down during bush fires in 1926. 

Kiah House

Kiah House

Try works 1900











Above: Flencing (removing of the outer blubber)


Left: Try works in action, circa 1900, with men at capstan
Geoge Davidson can be seen  in the centre of the picture. 



Loch Garrah and the Try Works where whale blubber was boiled to extract the oil are open to the public and a viewing platform has been erected around the remains of the Try Works.

A host of artifacts, equipment and information about Eden's whaling days can be seen at the the Eden Killer Whale Museum, including the skeleton of "Old Tom' whose body was recovered by George Davidson.

The Davidson Whaling Station site is now administered by the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service.

*An Old Lady Remembers: Published in Rene Davidson's book 'Whalemen of Twofold Bay' and reproduced here on Greg McKeen's website, the often poignant reflections of Euphemia (Effie) Davidson, wife of John Samual Davidson as told to her neice Debbie Nicholson in 1940 two days before Effie's 100th birthday.

More on the history of the Eden whaling industry.